Today is our 24th Wedding Anniversary (can’t believe we’re old enough to have been married that long, what young babes we were)!
So here are ten things I appreciate about our happy marriage:
- It started out as a friendship, that grew and grew until it was love, and continues to grow, deepen and mature.
- We can do things together, and apart.
- We respect and value our differences; it’s what makes us a good team.
- We don’t hold onto fantasies about how the other ‘should’ be.
- We’ve given each other support and space to grow and change – no-one can stay the same for 24 years.
- A marriage is like a whole series of love affairs – you fall in and out of love, over and over as you both change and grow. It’s dynamic and living, not fixed in stone.
- We treat each other with respect, and don’t say things to hurt or score points.
- The marriage is based on equality and sharing – we play to our strengths, not stereotypical roles.
- We support each other in our parenting – dealing with differences in view or approach away from the kids.
- We argue rarely, but when we do, we don’t let it run into another day.
So thank you Paddy, my co-creator in this happy (if not always easy) life!